Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Paper Covered Light Switch Plate

I wanted to jazz up my light switch plates and outlet covers for my living make over, so I decided I needed some practice. Time to break out the Mod Podge! Wooo!
You could do with just scissors, but I am obsessed with my rotary cutter!
Here's what you need:
  • Mod Podge (I had gloss. I wish I had matte. Why did I even buy gloss? I'm constantly saying I wish I had matte instead!)
  • Brush
  • Rotary mat, ruler, and cutter (you could use plain scissors, but I just love my rotary tools!)
  • Scrapbooking or other cutesy printed paper
  • Light switch plate

The first thing you are going to do is put your cover upside down on the back of your paper and trace it out. Make your trace a little bit bigger than your actual cover - you need enough paper to wrap around the edges!

I knew I was using my rotary tools to cut it out so I didn't care if my trace was straight. If you can't cut a straight line with scissors, try to make a better line than mine.
Cut out the trace.


Again, mine was measured out and made straight by my tools. You know whether or not you need them.

Paint the front of the cover with Mod Podge.

Make sure you get a nice coat on there
Now gently trim the excess paper from the switch BE CAREFUL because you might be like me and forget that the cutter can go through the paper, tin foil, and table cloth. Oops. Wrap the extra around the back so the whole plate front is covered including the edges

Don't be stupid. Use wax paper, not tin foil. You'll see why at the end.
Use a small blade tool to cut out the holes where your screws and switch go. You're going to want to fold in the paper on the rectangle where the switch goes, so don't completely cut the paper away.

I love these little blades. They sell them at the register at the fabric store. As if I needed something ELSE to give them money for...
Now coat the whole thing with Mod Podge and let it dry overnight ON WAX PAPER. I let mine dry on foil and that was a REALLY bad idea.


Now just screw it back into the wall and you're done! I shouldn't have dried mine on foil - when I went to get it up some of the paper stuck to the foil and so the top of my cover is missing its paper a little on one corner. Oh well, it still looks pretty good if you aren't right up on it!

Wax paper > tin foil for letting it dry

So not too bad for a quick and cheap make over for switch plates and outlet covers. And hey, if you hate it, they are like $1 at Wal-Mart - go buy a new one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. Please?! Seeing page view without knowing who was here drives me crazy! Not that *I* do that... >.>