Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Mod Podge Picture Frame

I decided I was going to learn to love Mod Podge. So I bought some. I got glossy, and now I wish I had gotten matte. Anyway, apparently I can think of a million different things to make with Mod Podge.

I bought a cheap wooden frame in the kids craft section at Wal-Mart for $1. I decided I wanted to Mod Podge with fabric. So I dug in my fabric stash and pulled out the CUTE yellow, black, and grey strips I was saving to make towel appliques with. I only needed a little bit of fabric, so I was ok with dipping into it.
Is this not the best fabric EVER?!

 Here's what I needed for my project:

Rotary cutter, board, and ruler (you could just use scissors but I REALLY like my rotary cutter plus it makes me feel all pro)
Mod Podge (I used gloss but matte would be better), sponge brush, and your cheap wooden frame
Next I cut my fabric into 1 1/4" by 3" strips. This was just long enough to wrap around the whole frame and skinny enough to let me use all 8 fabrics without it looking really weird. Go with whatever your gut tells you will look good. Unless you have more money in this than I do. I was only going to be out like $6 if it turned out to be crap.

So working REALLY slowly, you want to coat the frame, wrap the fabric scrap around the frame, and then smooth it down.
I discovered corners are kinda tricky. I just made that part up when I got to it. All 4 of my corners look different.

See? Corners are crappy.
Keep wrapping your scraps until you get the whole thing wrapped. The back is probably pretty covered in Mod Podge now because you kept having to paint over it to get it to stay down. You need to coat the front so the fabric won't fray and it will have a nice uniform look to it.

All those gloppy spots are coming back to haunt you! It's ok, just grab the brush and paint over the whole frame.It's going to dry clear. 
My frame came with these little dowels to be the stand for the frame. I forgot to cut out the dowel holes as I went. So I hot glued the dowels on after the frame dried overnight.

Oops. Well if hot glue can't fix it then you probably don't need it, right?!
Then all I had to do was stick a picture in there. Because it didn't have glass in it, I went with a print from Chuck E. Cheese. I can never bear to throw those things out, but they aren't nice enough to go anywhere but on the fridge. But I thought it looked pretty in here.

Me and my boys - 3/16/06


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. Please?! Seeing page view without knowing who was here drives me crazy! Not that *I* do that... >.>