Sunday, July 27, 2014

My Latest Adventure

You know those too-good-to-be-true ads you see all the time on Facebook? And how after a while FB gets so good at predicting what you like that the ads start to slowly win you over?

Well I've been stalking out Gwynnie Bee for quite some time due to that. since I've recently lost about 20 pounds and none of my clothes fit any more, I'm in the predicament of needing to acquire new clothes because the old ones are VERY ill fitting but not wanting to invest money in anything other than basics because I'm not where I want to be shape wise yet. 

So since Gwynnie Bee offers a 30 day free trial, I really have nothing to lose. So I signed up.





For those of you who don't know what Gwynnie Bee is, it's basically the Netflix of plus size clothing. You go through all the selections they have to offer, stick the ones you want to try in your virtual closet, and Gwynnie Bee ships them out to you. Unlike Netflix, you don't get to prioritize the order in which they send them, though they say if you email them they will work with you whenever possible. There are several different levels of subscription with the lowest being $35 a month for one garment out at a time and the highest being 10 garments at $159. 

Now these are not Wal-Mart or K-Mart clothes, these are name brand designer threads. While I do enjoy admiring the high fashion trendy clothes at department stores, I never buy any of them or even try them on really because I have this horrible habit of looking at the price tag. And I simply can't afford to pay tons of money for a dress no matter how gorgeous that I am only going to wear maybe 5 or 6 times a year. My wardrobe tends to consist of simple, basic separates that can be mixed and matched together and I seem to wear the same thing over and over. I almost never wear dresses or skirts; not because I don't like them but because they cost so much and aren't as versatile as a pair of black pants. It's really quite boring and frankly makes me feel that way!

Here's my preconceived notions going into this. Let's see if they hold true:

Pros:
  1. I can try stuff I never would have dared to in the comfort of my own home, not a stuffy dressing room.
  2. It doesn't matter how much it costs because I'm not buying it.
  3. If I love it and I don't ever want to send it back, there's an option to purchase the piece
  4. 30 days free. F-R-E-E.
  5. I might actually look like I have some style for once
  6. I'm going to gain greater insight as to what looks good on my body and what doesn't (Stacy and Clinton would be proud!)
Cons:
  1. Shipping is said to be sort of slow, so I might not get to try as many things as I'd like each month and may potentially end up cancelling for that reason
  2. None of the models are my size/shape so it's going to be hard to tell whether or not I'm going to look horrible in it until it gets here
  3. Designer clothes tend to be really weird about sizing, so I have to rely on the size chart and user comments when selecting the size. This will probably result in some shipments that would have looked great if only I had chosen the correct size.
  4. I might fall in love with some really nice things that I can no way afford to keep

One thing I'm excited about with this latest adventure is that for the price of a single pair of slacks I can play with patterns, cuts, and styles that I never would have even tried on otherwise. And if I don't like it I can just send it right back and try something else.

For the free trial I signed up for the 3 garment at a time option. Now at the subscription cost of $79 you know I'll only be doing THAT for my free 30 days and then dropping down to the one at a time price of $35, but I plan on cycling through as many items as I can in 30 days! With a free trial, you really have nothing to lose.

Anyone else playing with Gwynnie Bee? Tell me what your experience has been!

(Disclaimer - every link to Gwynnie Bee in this post is an affiliate link, meaning if you click on it and end up doing a 30 day trial I get mailed an extra item for that month. Now I'm not begging you to sign up, but it won't hurt my feelings if you do! Oh and I don't get paid or compensated to blog because I have all of about 3 readers, but if the Gwynnie Bee people are reading this and want to comp my subscription in exchange for blogging about them or offer me a higher plan for a discounted price, I would TOTALLY be in!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. Please?! Seeing page view without knowing who was here drives me crazy! Not that *I* do that... >.>